When I asked what you felt were the most important things to know when having golf lessons, here’s what you said
Coach needs to demonstrate that he cares for you
- Asks about your current ability, ambitions, game strengths & weaknesses and what frustrates you most about your game.
- Does his homework prior to the lesson, so he knows what has been covered in past lessons.
- Offers encouragement
A coach who is knowledgeable
- You must trust the coach: check his credentials, experience and how you feel after your first lesson.
- He is someone who understands how you learn.
- Determines the biggest thing wrong that will have the most impact on your game improvement if corrected.
- What specifically do I need to do when practicing?
I want a coach who communicates well
- Listens carefully
- Summarises key points checking that you understand exactly what they are.
- Provides some kind of follow up—written or video— after the lesson to reinforce the main points to practice.
As the student—what you should do
- Be prepared to spend at least 5 hours practice for each 1hour of coaching
- Be prepared to take a series of lessons rather than just one